Saturday 9 November 2013

Rubrics, Project Based Learning and Web Quest...

It has been a week of extensive reading and brainstorming for me. All my time other than teaching, has been devoted to technology. Such is the thirst for knowledge !

Project Based Learning...why didn't I ever search for it? What an amazing way to get creative and make a class interesting! Turning a teacher-centric class to a learner-centric one, giving the students to work with the freedom and novelty that they require, promoting community among the class members, and giving meaning to learning that normally goes on in the classroom. I know my students develop language and literacy skills by working on a product that exists beyond the classroom. Even in a multilevel classroom, there can be groups of learners doing different projects. The best thing about PBL is, the teacher's presence in the class is not overt, she acts as a facilitator and a mentor.

Rubrics works extremely well in a learner - centric classroom. Peer evaluation is common in our school ,but using Rubric to emphasize that the point of language learning is communication for meaningful purposes, would be a scientific way of teaching & evaluation. Any of the 4 skills can be tested through Rubrics. 'Rubistar' is an easy web tool and very effective.

Web Quest...there came the challenge for me. Very creative, but had to do real struggle to operate. It was a struggle between Man and Machine, and Man won. I was able to create a project for my class on the web quest and the whole rigorous process was highly satisfying. I now agree that it's going to be greatly motivating for both Teachers and Students.

Trying out the technology tools this week, I think I've approached the middle of a pyramid from its base. My target is to be at the top of it. There is still so much to learn and lots to work on, yet I'm not daunted, for the end result I'm sure is going to be 'DELICIOUS'.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Paramita,
    You are so very right in saying that it was man against the machine this week. Just like you, I struggled with my Web Quest but finally, I did it! It is so challenging to have all these tools made available to us and as you say ,why didn't we think about these before. I have been so traditionally conducting my classes before. Now I realize that gradually, I can start implementing some of these tools next year. What such possibilities have opened up to us. I am so very keen to start using these and I wonder about the reaction of my students...
    Make the best of all these and let us be teachers of the 21st century,
    Regards,
    Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Paramita,

    It's been a very hard week for me too especially WebQuest. I haev spent much time to create one but at the end as you said it is going to be greatly motivating for both teachers and students.

    Best wishes,

    Ahmed

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blog update, Paramita! I guarantee you that in the end you will find it all DELICIOUS!

    A big congratulations to you for creating your Webquest! It sounds like Jennifer and Ahmed faced similar challenges, but alas, you all persevered and managed to create a product to be proud of! I look forward to viewing your creation in more detail.

    Thanks for a lovely weekly reflection!

    ReplyDelete