Sunday 24 November 2013

Technology at its best....

My main reason to be a part of this course was to be technology savvy, so that I would be the right kind of teacher for GenX.

I'm happy to say that with the help of this course, my instructor and my friends, over these seven weeks I've learnt a lot. Week seven was devoted to Learner Autonomy, One Computer Classroom, Mobile Assisted Language Learning, Padlet and Partner Sign up for the final project. Sophia has said that it has been a 'roller-coaster' ride for her. I couldn't agree more, for it has been the same for me too. Moreover, the 'Discussion' thread has decided to boycott me...I don't know why!! But, I will not give up and keep trying till I can have at least one post on the thread.  I miss out often on the energetic discussions and then have no option but to pour out my frustration to Courtney.

We are all aware of 'Learner Autonomy', but for me the readings gave me a more scientific insight into it. There are so many facets to it than just independence of the learner. In our country, I know many conservative teachers frown upon the term, for they think  it talks about a teacher becoming redundant. I wish everybody would read Dimitrios Thanasoulas and Henri Holec's articles, which will help break this myth. How enriching their experience as a teacher would be ! The students not only become critical thinkers but at the same time develop responsibility to learning, problem solving, team work and so much more.

In most of our classrooms where there one computers, articles like - "Strategies and Applications for the One Computer Classroom" and "ESL Activities for the One Computer Classroom" are immensely relevant. With our classes being so large, all this while I thought it was a handicap to the use of technology. Now, after reading these articles, being led through PADLET by my instructor, I've found one computer to be quite a good resource. I've learnt how to use it in class for a specific topic with the web tool Padlet. I'm quite sure that my students would be thrilled to use it. The ones who find Story Writing to be a boring task, and the ones who are inhibited and shy away from a task would find Padlet in a one computer classroom to be interesting, creative and motivating. I'm not going to reflect on Mobile Assisted Language Learning, because no Indian school will allow the use of mobile in the classroom, even in the presence of the teacher. So, in my social context it will be irrelevant, although I'm sure in many countries it is acceptable.

I'm honoured to be partnering Sophia for the peer review of the final project. I already have a rough line on the project, and need to fine tune it before I upload it for my partner to review. I'm apprehensive of her views...will she like it? I know she will guide me if I go wrong somewhere, so I need to work hard on it.

Best wishes to all my classmates on their projects. 
Happy writing......


2 comments:

  1. Hi Paramita!

    Even I want to be the 'right kind' of teacher for the new generation of learners. This week certainly gave us scientific insight into Learner Autonomy and now it's our duty to spread this knowledge to our fellow teachers, especially to the conservative ones, and also try to make our own classes more and more learner centred!

    I didn't understand how 'discussion' could boycott you. Is it some connectivity issue or what?

    Best of Luck for your project!

    Darshan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Paramita,

    I'm so sorry that the discussion thread continues to give you difficulties. I hope that in some small way I am able to ease your frustrations!

    On the brighter side, you have learned so much since the start of the course and continue to. How absolutely wonderful! I'm also delighted that you and Sophia will be partnering for peer review. I have no doubts that you two will have a fruitful exchange that you both benefit from.

    Wishing you all the best in these coming weeks and beyond!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete