Sunday 1 December 2013

Marching Towards the End of the Road....

Week 8 is coming to an end...just 2 more weeks left and it feels like yesterday, the course had begun. How time flies! 

We had an honoured guest amongst us, Jeff Magoto. His expertise in Web skills, Teacher share lesson and Materials Development is an inspiration to all of us. The more I come to know people like Jeff, Andrea, and Courtney, the more I feel how little I know. Jeff's creation ANVILL, a virtual language lab, can be used for speaking skills in Language Learning. It also infuses Collaborative Learning and Learner Autonomy. This is a great tool for the communication of distant learners, to develop their oral/aural skills. Thank you Courtney and Jeff for guiding us through, and always sharing with us new tools.

I've shared the draft of my Plan Project with my partner Sophia and thank her for her kind and encouraging words. I was quite confused initially before writing the draft. I somehow couldn't understand how to go about it. Reading all the resources, reading Courtney's mails again and again cleared the maze and I was able to venture into it.  I have used a blended technique, using the traditional and the technological. I have tried using the tools which I feel will make my class learner-centric, creative, collaborative and help my students to become independent. I feel this blended method will help me achieve my goal.

This week we had to create a class wiki or an online exercise that can be a handout. How I wish I knew about this a fortnight back. When I was taking a revision class with my class 9 students before their final assessments, this would have been of great help. However, keeping the thought in mind, I have created a crossword puzzle exercise on 'Relative Clauses', which I plan to use in the next session for my next class. Here the article by Lanternfish and the link by Chris Gunn truly helped me. I would once again like to thank Courtney for sharing these excellent articles and links with us.

I have been going through the lesson plan drafts of my friends in this class. They are so good and the plans are very intelligent. I've learnt much from them and would like to thank all of them. Friends, you are all excellent!!

When I started this journey, as a novice in the use of technology, many things seem difficult, vague and unreachable. Now, with the passage of 8 weeks, slowly and steadily all the learning is falling into place. I would never say that I have mastered the use of technology in class, but yes, I'm more confident in the use. I'm still learning...and will keep on learning even after the end of the course, but all is not dark....I can see some light!

If we want the best for our learners then change is a must. Our condition does not change but we bring the change in it that ultimately benefits our students. Here I'm reminded of what Walden Thoreau had said: " Things do not change; we bring the change."

Best wishes to all,
Paramita

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paramita!
    Learning never stops and I'm sure we'll all keep learning even after this course ends, and the end of this course would not be the end of the road. We must bring the change for better or be ready to face the worse.

    Thanks for the nice quote!

    Darshan

    ReplyDelete