Sunday 8 December 2013

Marching to the end.....

A week of highs and lows! As we come to the end of our glorious journey in this course, I want to savor the memories of interaction through Discussion and posting in the Nicenet class and class wiki regularly. Yet there is always something that keeps blocking my way , and that is the SERVER. It has become the bane of my life, that stops me often in my smooth journey. I try not to give up, I persevere, yet often fall behind the class.

In spite of the technical troubles, I devour through Howard Gardner's article on Multiple Intelligences http://eduscapes.com/tap/topic68.htm . The 9 intelligences that support classroom activities were supplemented by the reading of Richard Felder's article on 'Impact of Different Learning Styles on Classroom Performance' - http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/ILSdir/styles.htm
If we teachers know and understand the classroom situations, then as facilitators we'll b able to engage the different learning styles and the multiple intelligence of our learners.

This week was also about posting my final project for evaluation in the class wiki. My project is on the way to enhance creativity among my class 10 students in writing Formal Letters. Here, I've planned a blended method of the traditional with the use of technological tools. I would start the class with brainstorming on the topic 'Women Trafficking' with some questions for the students, that ultimately help them in writing. This will be followed by a Web Quest on the same topic, and I feel this will definitely help foster the creativity of my students. Finally my students will start writing their letters in email and send them to me for evaluation. As an incentive and motivation to my learners, I'll select 10 best letters and publish them in the students' edition of The Times of India. I'm grateful to Sophia, my partner for her review and kind words. Her comments have been a morale booster for me.

This journey has been quite a roller coaster for me...this is difficult academic time for me with umpteen papers for final evaluation and grading, with very short deadline. To juggle that and the tasks of this course, at times were very stressful. Yet, I enjoyed it thoroughly. The time constraints, the interaction with friends, Courtney's motivating words...made me look forward to it everyday. I really do not know, with the kind of technical support that we have today, how far in the reality I'll be able to put to use all that I've learnt in this course. But I'm going to cherish the treasure that I've come across here, and will definitely use some of the tools that I know I can blend in, in spite of all the odds. Then, I'll know that my learning has not been in vain!


1 comment:

  1. Hello Paramita,

    I encountered the same technological challenges in the Gambia. I almost crawl in week 8 but thanks to the dynamic supervision and encouragement from Courtney, I was able to march and run.

    Despite all those gaps, I really endeavour my time to the readings of Howard Gardner's article on Multiple Intelligences and Richard Felder's article on 'Impact of Different Learning Styles on Classroom Performance' . I personally believed that those readings crowned the whole training of building teaching skills through the interactive web on quality teaching and learning.

    As facilitators we need to know our learners so that competitive advantage could be created in our service delivery and added value to our strategies in the classrooms and outside.

    I buy your idea of blending traditional methods with the use of technological tool is apt. learning always take place from the known to the unknown.

    Web quest is dynamic tool that promotes learner autonomy, interaction, creativity and innovation. Building teaching skills through the interactive web did not only built our capacity on technological resources, but also introduced us to all types of learning styles and strategies to effectively and efficiently manage both human and material resources. The ABCD objective has been a very useful strategy in writing about an issue.

    The time allocation to submission of tasks is a strategy to remould ourselves in terms of dedication, business oriented, analytical minded and focus.

    The program was rally a comprehensive course, where the interaction of quality technology was experienced through the supervision of flexible facilitators with no cost and immediate response time to all our issues. This is what is called competitive advantage compared to other training programs.

    For us It is out of the Web fall 2013 and not out of mind!!!

    ReplyDelete